1) In the lecture on "Animal Organ Transplants" your professor reported
Jeff Getty, an HIV patient was infused with an experimental bone-marrow
transplant from a baboon. What are the potential hazards of cross-species
2) How does today's American health care system reflect the "technological
imperative? What sorts of social implications does this imperative have
for medicine in society.
3) What is the "Human Genome Project?" What are some of the social
implications of this technology?
4) Discuss the relationship between the American Medical Association
the pharmaceutical industry.
5) Compare and contrast "traditional" fee-for-service medicine and today's
managed care. What factors are behind the spread of corporate medicine?
6) Discuss the concepts of "patient dumping" and "skimming" in relation
7) Out patient surgery has grown tremendously in the last several years.
What factors have contributed to this growth?
8) Discuss the advantages and disadvantages for the physician to become
employee of the corporation.
9) What factors are responsible for the rise in the cost of hospital care?
10) What are Health System Agencies (HAS)? What are Diagnostic
Groups? How do they attempt to control the cost of hospital care?
11) Discuss the problems involved with professional regulation.
12) What is defensive medicine? Why is it a problem?
13) What is the conflict between medicine as a healing art and medicine
an economic activity?
14) Discuss recent changes in the hospital industry. What social
are behind these changes?
15) What factors are behind the dramatic growth of long-term-care facilities?
16) Who are the uninsured Americans? Who are the precariously
Where do these people get their health care?
17) What is the "iron triangle?"
18) Compare and contrast "tertiary" and "primary care."
19) Kissick claims that medicine is a "cultural affair." What
does he mean
by this statement?
20) What is "medicalization?" Give examples.
21) Discuss the social influence on describing and understanding diseases.
İFrank Elwell Send comments to felwell at rsu.edu